Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

And so the Journey Begins...

I own my own business. I haven't always but for the past 5 years I've been self-employed. Owning your own business is a lot of things but predictable is not one of them. And I discovered something about myself...I like predictability. I like routine. There is something comforting in routine and sameness and I didn't expect that. 
“We are, all of us, creatures of habit, and when the seeming necessity for schooling ourselves in new ways ceases to exist, we fall naturally and easily into the manner and customs which long usage has implanted ineradicably within us.”― Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Beasts of Tarzan
In fact, if Mr. Burroughs is to be believed, the fall into those habits is natural and unable to be removed (that's what ineradicably means...impossible to root out). But routine and predictable become boring and stodgy and eventually unproductive. 

I am a Christian. I wasn't always but for the past 40+ years...I have been. And in those 40 years, I've seen the "seeming necessity for schooling" cease to exist and fell naturally into the rhythms and routines that are the norm in churches across the country today. And I've found myself comfortable. And bored. And unproductive. 

But God is not a creature of habit. In fact, 2 Corinthians 5:17 declares that in Christ, old things are passed away and a new life has begun. Recent events at church caused me to pause and re-evaluate. And it became clear that I had settled into routines and become unproductive. Perhaps more disturbing, I looked to assign the blame elsewhere. But Father pressed into my spirit that I was the shepherd of my family and that handing ourself over to the programs at the church did not relieve me of my obligations. What's more...I was missing out on the opportunity to hear from Him and share that with my wife and family. Let that sink in for a minute...Almighty God, Creator of the Universe, is willing to personally show me how to be a husband to my wife and a father to my children. And, for too long, I've preferred my comfort and routine to His presence. 

So after much prayer and angst, Ileen and I have reached the decision that now is the time to pursue a vision that Father has placed upon our heart and we will be leaving Foothills. We wanted to let you know this for several reasons. First and foremost, you have had an impact on us and our family and we love you dearly. Beyond that, we want to make sure that our reasons are not misunderstood or lumped into the current situation, although that has certainly been a catalyst for our decision.

What we thought it would be like...
I wish I could say that Ileen and I definitively have the answers that we are seeking.  We don’t. But God is leading and we must follow. He has lead us in the direction of simple church (also known as house or organic church) and we have been praying, researching, reading and even reviewing criticisms pertaining to the concept. We are challenged and intrigued…

·        By the notion that the church can be led by the Holy Spirit and Jesus is the “Senior Pastor”.
...and what it feels like now that we're standing on the brink!
·        Believers being equal and hearing from God corporately.
·        God gifting and equipping the church as He promises in Ephesians 4.
·        By the idea that leadership is not in charge but rather are facilitators, care-givers and “guard rails”.
·        Expressing the love and light of Jesus with each other in such a way that the world takes notice and desires to know Christ (John 13:35).
·        Abandoning programs and traditions in favor of “wherever He leads”. It is in John chapter 21 where Jesus tells the disciples to throw their nets out on the opposite side…It looked the same…really wasn't very different or radical…yet, because it was Jesus, there was more fish then imaginable.

There are so many more thoughts that escape me as I write but the overarching concern is to “participate” in Jesus’ church in such a way that it pleases Him by being about Him, in Him and through Him. To join Thomas in exclaiming “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

Additionally, Ileen and I will pursue a vision that God has placed upon our heart. We call it “Worship without Walls” and we look to facilitate a regular, perhaps monthly, local gathering of believers in such a way that they are encouraged and refreshed and prepared to do whatever God has gifted and burdened them to do. We hope to break down the walls that separate believers and  circumvent the denominational divide by gathering people together and letting them get to know each other and surround the community we live in with the Father’s love…coming at the lost from all directions.

We are publishing this blog for a couple reasons...we want to chronicle the adventure and share the journey with those that will pray for and with us as we seek to be salt and light right where Father has us...and we hope that others will be inspired to join us. Not necessarily "us" us, rather the "us" that is a group of believers that not only desire more of our incomparable Savior, Jesus, but are willing to step out and away from comfortable arrangements and known entities and see what might happen when Father is given a free rein to lead and direct without the constraint of habits or traditions.

We strongly covet your prayers…we really don’t have a firm idea of where this is going; only that we won’t have peace until we follow this wherever He leads. Some have expressed an interest in learning more; we will use this blog to share as we go along. We will also post times/dates and locations as they become known. We hope and desire that this simply denotes a new chapter in our continuing relationships as friends and fellow sojourners in Christ. We hope you understand and encourage you to talk to us about any questions or concerns.
Your Brother and Sister in Christ…Jeff and Ileen  

No comments:

Post a Comment